Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Cat 'n the Hat

I seem to have joined another knit-along - Cover Your Head



As you may guess, this KAL involves hats. As you may also guess, since I'm working on my stranding, I knit a stranded hat -- the Fake Isle hat from MagKnits.

Now, before I say anything else, I should indicate that there have been some wonderful examples of this hat posted about blog-ville. For example, look here and here, to point out just a couple of them. I warn you now that what follows is not what I would consider a wonderful example of what is really a wonderful pattern.

Before I show you my monstrosity, let me state here and now that I really don't like 16" circular needles. Yes, the stranding goes much smoother without the joins you get from DPNs, but I find knitting with that short a circ to be hard on the hands. However, since my head is nowhere near 24", I guess it's a "suck it up" type of situation.

Brace yourselves:



I attribute the lack of wonderfulness purely to my own poor choice of colour of Kureyon. I was trying to expand my colour horizons, and I think I went a bit too far. I am so not an orange, green and purple kind of guy. This is Kureyon No. 185, and pattern colour is Patons Classic in Dark Natural Mix. I originally tried to use a dark brown, and it worked at the beginning, but it kind of got lost and I had to rip back and go with something lighter.

As I was knitting along, I began to get concerned about the depth of the hat, as I wanted something that would cover my ears. Midway through, I switched to the row counts for the larger size, hence the three row stripe in the middle. I wish I would have thought of that sooner and made the lower one three rounds as well, because it looks weird with them different, but there was no way I was going back again.



On the plus side, I was able to practice catching floats, and I think I figured out what I was doing wrong before. And then I got cocky and played with the patterning on the top so I wouldn't have to catch them any more. I added that little dagger-type shape so it looked a little less like a flower.

Now, I'm really not into fashion that much, and I generally wear what I like and what feels comfortable. Yes, I am probably a prime candidate for What Not to Wear. Clinton and Stacy, come and get me any time. But, despite my lack of fashion sense and my need to keep my ever-increasing forehead warm, while I have worn, and will continue to wear, this hat, I admit that while doing so I feel kind of like this:



Turning now to more pleasant things, thank you for your suggestions for alternate cat eyes for my Fibre Trends Here Kitty Kitty kitty cat. I liked very much the idea of embroidering them on, and I tried. I really did. I will not tell you how many hours I spent trying. In the end, I had to cover them up with little bits of felt.



Kind of spooky looking, but better than what's underneath. Whiskers on kittens are a favourite thing, so I couldn't leave them out. Monofilament gives the right kind of translucent bristliness.

And just to prove that my toy cat is cooler than I, here he is, sitting in the snow.


In the Other News Department, when I switched over to the new Blogger, I noticed that I was coming up onto my first blogiversary, so I guess that means it's time for a contest!!! I liked the idea of a "500th comment" thingy, but after adding up my comments, I realized I missed that boat -- by a long shot. I had no idea you guys were so chatty! :-)

So here's the deal: I am coming up on a different and higher landmark type of number for comments. Email me what you think this number is (email addy is in the sidebar) and I'll put all correct answers in a hat (possibly the one above!) and pick a winner. In addition, the person who leaves that actual landmark comment will win. So two prizes, one for guessing the number and one for being the number. What will you win? I'm thinking ..... sock yarn. I'll pick something nice especially for the winners. Fair enough?

70 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

1500?

The cat looks cute. I think the furry type would have looked too... foofy.

Pink said...

I love that hat!

Abigail said...

The hat is smashing, dahling. I love it.

Little Mr. Kitty Kat is a sweet little puss.

Does he get along well with Tidget and Muushu?

Anonymous said...

I think the colors of the hat are gorgeous!!!! They soooo reminded my of the way the sky looked while I was at the Oregonian Coast... the blue with strips of white clouds and then the red/orange/golds when the sun was sinking into the water.

Cheers Eva

sheep#100 said...

Happy Blogiversary - the hat looks great!

742

Alyson said...

I must be a bad knitter. I got all excited, waiting to see a glorious, delicious example of stranded knitting gone horribly wrong - something puckery and tacky, with a pattern barely discernible from picking up stitches willy-nilly....and THIS is what you give me? A very attractive hat that I WISH looked like my stranded work would?

You've let me down. Next time you proclaim your knitting to be off-the-mark, I better see something hideous. :-)

Happy anniversary!

Janelle said...

Happy blogiversary!

I, too, see nothing whatsoever wrong with your beautfiul hat. I love it. The daggers are a great addition to the pattern. The colors might not be "you," but the stranding is great!

I have no idea what your blog comment count it, but I'll send in my wild-a$$ed guess anyway...

Anonymous said...

I really love the hat! It's beautiful!

HPNY KNITS said...

the hat looks cool! i like the fact that you personalised it. thats what it is all about! I like symmetry and all, but sometimes the non-symmetrical version is more balanced, as in your white bands.

for eyes, the traditional solution of just a little X in embroidery floss black, works wonders.

CynCyn said...

While I agree with the other comments (that the hat is beautiful), if you're not an orange, green, purple kind of guy, you're not going to wear it. PLUS (and most convincingly) you look supremely unhappy in the pic. How about making another, and then you can institute your shouldas and couldas into the new, more your style fake isle?

Unknown said...

I love the zoo photo! The hat looks great, but if you don't like the colors, donate it to charity!

And I'm a sucker for contests, so I'm coming out of lurkdom just to post a comment. But at least I posted a comment, and not just say "I'm a sucker for contests".

(that comment was funnier in my head)

lexa said...

I like your hat!

I'm gonna guess at 38.

lexa said...

Good thing I hit the wrong button anyways and posted the wrong number guess! (Darned sticky number pad!) I will e-mail the number I meant to type! :)

(Terrible at directions!)

Anonymous said...

Well - I think your hat is fantastic! I love the color and the pattern and it looks like it fits perfectly over the ears!
It was NOT at all what I expected after your lead in!
I'm going to go calculate and email my guess.....

Anonymous said...

I like your hat. You did a good job with the stranding. Happy blogoversary!

Anonymous said...

1300?

I love the hat!

Anonymous said...

I love your hat. It is really a work of art. The color blending is really cool.

LaurieM said...

It's not so bad as all that Dave. Have you blocked it yet? It's amazing the miracles that can be worked with a good blocking. I think the shading of the purples at the top is spectacular, but I agree that the green bit leaves something to be desired.

Kitty is cute, but shouldn't the pupil run vertically?

Jennifer said...

I like the hat. I also like the felt eyes on the cat. Nice solution.

55 comments. :-)

Zonda said...

Happy Blogiversary! I love your hat! I like it better with the lighter yarn! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the hat..maybe you should give that away for the contest!

Anonymous said...

2057

The hat looks fine. You look a bit grim. I take it you don't like it? lol.

Can you post an inside out picture? To see those floats.

Cute kitty cat!

knitspot anne said...

ooh, i was just thinking yesterday that i need a hat too. but not like yours—it would completely fall off my teensy head.
yours looks MUCH better on you than it does NOT on you.

and ps: if we are supposed to try to get the winning comment, then you need to post more so we can put our 2 cents in often!

Valerie Polichar said...

Sorry, Dave -- the hat looks good. You're allowed to not like it, but I think it's really nice!

The cat is slightly scary, but I like him in the snow :-)

~Kristie said...

BRAVO on your hat! I had never seen anyone do the lighter solid colorway (everyone including me seems to be doing darks) and I LOVE the effect!

And for a non-knitting question... since I also use blogger, I was wondering where it calculates how many comments you've received? I'd also like to host a contest at some point & time.

Alyssa said...

I like your hat a lot! The great thing about that pattern is that it's so quick you can knit another one in no time. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary :o)

I like the hat...it's only a lil bit too big, right?

RR is a prime candidate for WNtW - though he likes to go with the 'clown collar' look (you know, the 15 year old shirt with the collar that is completely frayed, but since it's 'comfortable' he'll never get rid of it...though I've finally gotten him to stop wearing them to work, thank God).

Unknown said...

I love the hat. If you dont like it then mail it to me!! As for the cat? Pretty nifty for a kitty cat. And for the total? 650

Anonymous said...

That hat is FIERCE!!

Ann said...

The hat is awesome! How about magic looping it? I love the kitty! I may have to go find the pattern for both!

Julie said...

Well I quite like your hat even if you don't. :P Cute kitty, too!

turtlegirl76 said...

I think it looks great! Maybe not the color of choice for *you* but the hat itself came out just fine.

My guess is the very unimaginative "2007"

Nana Sadie said...

Teaching hats are just that - for teaching...that said, your's is really cool! (ok...I don't mean that temperature-wise)
Kitty is adorable, as always....
Congrats and Happy Blogaversary...I've got to get on my contest for mine, too!
(((hugs)))

Sachi said...

I like the hat. You've expanded your color horizons. Wear it and see if it grows on you.

Anonymous said...

I like the hat, but not the "Don't Feed the Bears" picture -- it looks much more brown in that picture!

The kitty looks spooky when outside -- what is that - glow-in-the-dark felt?

You could try the fabric stores for kitty eyes. You'll find them on the button rack, and sometimes you can find a set with eyes and nose.

Miss Janelle said...

Your hat is beautiful! I can't even believe you are so upset with it...I think it's lovely and would wear it proudly. I am going to have to knit that pattern soon...

Natalie Servant said...

The hat is gorgeous - love the colours & design. If it's not your cup of tea perhaps the right owner of the hat will happen along. Worked for me with a couple of items that I loved to make but were obviously wrong for me.

Charity said...

I think the cat is so sweet! :0)

I'm guessing.... 1672

Beth said...

I think the hat is perfectly great. That damn Kureyon always works up a little different than you think it will.

And Happy Blogiversary!

Anonymous said...

Let's see, 64 posts in the past year...I'm guessing you've averaged around 40 comments per post...so I guess you're approaching 2500 comments. Incidentally, I am also approaching that milestone, so maybe that's why I'm partial to it.

I like your dagger alteration to the hat. I'm sorry you're not pleased with the final product.

Terri said...

Well I like your hat. I wouldn't have noticed the three row stripe was different to the lower one if you hadn't pointed it out. And I like the colours too. :o) Loved the gaol photo!! Thanks for the grin this morning.

Opal said...

I love the hat! You look ready to do some jailhouse rock in it. And I must say that is a darling little kitty.

Kathy in DC said...

Kara (8 years old) says, "He's cute with his eyes and whiskers, but he STILL needs a mommy!"

Anonymous said...

The hat is beautiful and unique, I really like it!

Angelika said...

Stop complaining. I love the hat and it's going to be next on my list too. I like the colors and if you absolutely don't like it, there are surely lots of takers for it. Just make another one.

BEESTLYproducts said...

i <3 the hat!!! The kitty is cute, and i actually like the felt eyes.... I wish i had used felt on my baby bobbi bear.

Anonymous said...

Your version of that hat is the first one that I've seen that has inspired me to consider that pattern! Good job.

Anonymous said...

i like that hat. i think the colours are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Dave, that hat is hideous. It's so awful, in fact, that you should banish it from your sight immediately, out of the house ... why, you could just mail it up to me and I'll make sure you aren't confronted with that monstrosity any more. Heh. ;-)

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

The hat looks very good, I love how the colors remind me of a sunset.

Happy Blogiversary!

Meg said...

I personally like the hat. I have a WIP in a Noro Kureyon that beats the PANTS off your Kureyon colourway. One never knows what's lurking in the inner part of those skeins...
Anyway, I'll guess 2011 !

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

I love your hat and the colors! Awesome job.

earthchick said...

I think the hat is great! And the kitty is, as ever, adorable. Fab job.

And happy blogiversary!

Anonymous said...

I think your hat looks great!! I know, hat beauty is in the eye of the hat wearer. Take heart, however, on the great comments you received. I did a reverse of the hat, using the Noro for the pattern. See my blog. http://sskyop2.blogspot.com/2006/11/slip-sliding-away.html You might want to try that--the solid color will then predominate and you might like it better.

Becka said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and having such kind words about "Lonnie's Sport Socks"...stay tuned, I have a few designs for him (men) on the design board now.
Now, color me orange, but I LOVE your hat! I think it looks great and you did a fantastic job. Kitty is too CUTE, and, as you said, very cool, well, looks kinda cold!
Addicted to the Knit
Becka
PS, I have to move my blogs to Beta, was it a horrible move or an easy, I'm gonna love it move?!

Debra said...

First of all, love the "fake isle" hat. The daggers clearly masculinize (phallicize- not feminize?) the hat. Gotta make one! Cloche, perhaps?

I've always thought the FT cat pattern was creepy. There's just something about the photo on the pattern cover that places it in the same category as clowns and sock monkeys for me. Yours clearly looks more appealing, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's adorable...

Great knitting, great blog!
Knit on,
Debra

Debra said...

I forgot to leave a comment guess. Looks like you've had over 73K visitors, so.... I'll guess 2500 comments.

...and yes, I think sock monkeys are creepy. They were quite the rage at MN's state fair last year: http://theraineysisters.com/index.php?s=minnesota+state+fair (check out Aug. 24th and 28th posts)

ikkinlala said...

The hat isn't my favourite colours either, but the pattern looks great.

kathy b said...

Is 2007 significant?

Your hat post is very funny. Thanks for the laugh. I LIKE the hat. Nice fairisle work.

Laura said...

I like the hat too! Wear it with pride! :)

I'm guessing, 1782 comments.

Marlene said...

I think you're being too hard on yourself. The hat looks great. If you really can't stand wearing those colors give the hat away and knit yourself another. The second always turns out even better than the first anyway.

Angela said...

I'm lovin' that fake fair isles. I think it looks great, even if it isn't your favorite color. I'm trying to come up with something similar myself. How difficult was this to knit. Would you rate it Mellow or Tangy?

Ang

LavenderSheep said...

The hat looks awesome!

My guess is 1500!

Stacy said...

Nice hat, and nicer cage, LOL.

Next time you knit a "monstrosity" and simply must send it far, far away - out of the country, even - let me know. I'll take care of it for ya.

Kel said...

I think the hat turned out lovely!

Teyani said...

oh Dave... I laughed so hard at your warning label photo... perhaps you just need to wear a smile when you have that hat on?
the knitting is lovely - and don't worry, my daughter tells me that the park rangers come along and feed wild knitters every couple of weeks (from a safe distance of course)

Anonymous said...

The felt eyes look fine on your kitty. In fact, I like them better than any button eyes on stuffed animals. I can't imagine what the embroidery looked like, so I can't comment on that.

This is my first visit to your blog, so it was nice to meet you!

Chelle said...

I love that kitty! new eyes, old eyes...fabulous!

Your warning poster is a scream too! Great blog, I have to bookmark this!

Madame Purl said...

Love the hat. The colors are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

That is one beautiful hat! I love the colors. I think they work well. I would wear it proudly. :-)