Tuesday, January 02, 2007

January socks - Done!

When is an Owl ...


... not an Owl?


When it has scales!


I was going for something a little more snake-like, and I think it worked out well.


I had a lot of down time over the Christmas break, so I managed to finish my January socks.



Opal Rainforest Owl, using the Scales Skin stitch pattern. It's a great pattern, and makes a wonderful fabric. All that lifting over of YOs means it takes forever to knit, but I like it so much I will probably use it again. Some day, that is.



That brings to a close the Sock a Month Knit-a-long, both 1 and 2, and my sock drawer has been nicely replenished. Although I'll always likely have a sock or three on the needles, I think it's time to turn my attention to other projects. Maybe a sweater that actually gets finished? A shawl? An afghan? Some hats? Gee, I guess you can knit stuff other than socks. :-)

45 people had something to say:

Cindy said...

Looks a little like a rattler:)

Mama Urchin said...

Those scales look great.

lexa said...

Those are wonderful socks! I really like the scale pattern. It shows nicely with the yarn, too.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Dave - definitely more snake-ish than owl-ish.

Anonyknits said...

Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! And I think that's officially the fastest pair of socks knit this month! ;-)

Anonymous said...

They are really cool!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...those look fantastic! Where'd you find that stitch pattern?

Punkin said...

Nicely done! The sock yarn is beautiful and the stitch shows it off well. I really like the texture that the stitch gives.

aija said...

Wow, cool! I like how your stitch breaks up the Opal patterning.

Anonymous said...

I like it! Very suggestive of a snake, even with the owl coloring.

So how's that Noro sweater coming along?

sheep#100 said...

Wow, those socks look really great. I love the stitch pattern.

Marlene said...

Very snakey!

karrie said...

I love it! Both the yarn and the stitch pattern are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Love them! That pattern looks very cool and I think it really works well with the variegated yarn :o)

Acornbud said...

Wow, what a wonderful colorway. I like the pattern you chose for it. Very warm and snuggly.

Anonymous said...

Wow, remarkably snake-like. I love it.

I'm jealous of your replenished sock drawer. I don't know what I was thinking, knitting most of my socks for others recently. What do I get for being generous? Chilly feet.

Anonymous said...

I am a very LAZY member of the six sock KAL and have not knit these socks yet even though they are my favorite pattern in the KAL since "fluted bannister"- I printed it off the day it came out and the pattern still sits - Your's are wonderful in "owl"!

sgeddes said...

I love how the colors worked with the pattern you picked!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

They look fab, just right! I never would've thought to knit the Owl that way. : )

Valerie Polichar said...

Wow, wild -- that looks like a Tunisian crochet stitch I'm fond of. Very very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice! Knit socks, huh? Now there's an idea. Then maybe my sock drawer wouldn't be full of those unaturally stretchy, unwarm, unlovely things that I buy at Walmart.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I'm a big fan of that pattern, too. I did mine in a "rain forest green and yellow boa" koigu. I like the subtler colors of yours, it shows off the stitch pattern bettern than my choice of yarn, much as I love it.

Anonymous said...

The colors and scales are very reminiscent of a rattlesnake. Beautiful job, gorgeous socks!

Carrie said...

Ooh! Purty. You have inspired me to get off my keester and finish some of my own socks. :)

Oh yeah, and speaking of winter, where the heck is it? I went to New Hampshire for Christmas and there was no snow... (waah, no skiing!) AND I heard today that here in NYC we have had no snow at all in November and December (which anyone could tell you - it was like 60 degrees two weeks ago!) - which hasn't happened since something like 1890... Time to buy some ocean-front property - in the Ozarks.

Happy New Year!

CelticCastOn said...

Dave where have you been???
Glad to hear from you again anyway :)
I loove that stitch pattern, it would definatley be worth all the time it takes me thinks!

Anonymous said...

fabulousssss snakey ssssocks! That may inspire me to actually get some socks knit. I just turned my latest socks-on-the-needles (started in August!) into wrist warmers because I couldn't bear to see them sitting there, staring at me accusingly.

Terri said...

Great texture and the colour looks really nice too. Well done. Isn't it great to be able to move on to something new too. Happy New Year to you. :o)

HPNY KNITS said...

scales are awesome!! wow. perfect desert socks.
yes, lots of great stuff to knit in 2007 and beyond!

Nana Sadie said...

Wow those are amazing socks! LOVE the pattern...
Come join us at the Hidcote KAL if you'd like to do a shawl...
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is some fast sock knitting! Already done for January, and you've made some really cool ones, too. Great stitch pattern.

Can't wait to see some sweaters (just don't tempt me into any more patterns)!

Anonymous said...

Very nice socks :) I'm working with the Flamingo colorway right now :) Looks very much the same... just pinks hihihi.

So what ever happened to the lime green shawl???

Cheers Eva

Anonymous said...

Love 'em - very creative!

I think my zebra could do with some scales.

Anonymous said...

What a neat pattern - the texture is amazing! Something other than socks?? Horrors! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, those turned out wonderfully! Kind of like a science project gone awry, what with a bird having scales...

Jennifer said...

I love them! The scales look really great with that yarn.

Happy New year to you!

earthchick said...

Ooooh! I love 'em. Well done, and happy new year!

Anonymous said...

My jaw dropped! For real, though. With the lowering of the mandibles and all. It really does look like snake scales, and the colors are so great! Who said that's sposta look like OWL, anyway? It's definitely rattlesnake colors from here.

Dude, you should make rattlesnake-rattler stitch markers and bundle them with this yarn and your pattern as a kit.

schrodinger said...

Isn't it great when you want something to be a certain way, and it works out? Those really do have a snakeskin look. Great!

Anonymous said...

If you're doing something other than socks, please finish your Starsky! I was so inspired by your rib "corrections" that I frogged 12 inches (done front and back on a circular) and started over. I'm now working on sleeves, also with your style of ribbing, but with the addition of the cable and done both at once, in the round on two circs. I hope to do a knitted-in set-in sleeve. NOT goo at following patterns as written. I'm eager to see your FO, which will surely be the most handsome Starsky ever made.

Meg said...

Nice socks yet again! Looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen the scales stitch pattern. How is it worked?

Very nice socks.

Anonymous said...

I really like the scale effect. Totally awsome!

Paula said...

I really like your Owl scale socks!!!!
The coloring of the yarn really makes the scales stand out.
I have been seeing that pattern around blogland and now I will have to try it.

Ohhh I am so behind in my sock making.

I am tagging you for a '6 weird things' meme.... or not, your choice.

quantumtea said...

Beautiful socks! I've never seen that pattern before.