Thursday, January 11, 2007

Matchy-matchy

I finished the front of my Noro sweater.



It's Jakobsberg from Noro Revisited by Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton in Silk Garden No. 203.

Noro being what Noro is, and me being who I am, I don't really want the front to match the back, or the sleeves to match either themselves or the front or back, but I do know that if the stripes on the front didn't match themselves, it would give me a constant twist in my knickers. I played with it a bit and got them to match up as best I could.




Totally acceptable, at least in my books. Or, in other words, close enough that I don't care that it's off a bit, and I'll just stand, and sit, crooked whenever I wear it. :-)

So I layed out the front beside the back to make sure they were reasonably close in length, and ...



... do you see it? Right where it divides for the armhole, there's pale blue, green, dark blue, brown -- and then it's off again. I guess I'm actually a little thankful for all those knots they put in the yarn.

Next? Sleeves or clogs? Hmmm.



35 people had something to say:

Stacey said...

you did a great job matching up the fronts! perfect! the back to teh front - that is just plain weird how it matched for a bit, then not. I'm with you - I'd rather have it not match anywhere!

sheep#100 said...

Looks great!

Sleeves next.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, pretty!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Sleeves - you're on a roll!!

We think alike with the stripe matching - I have so many other perfection obsessions that I'm surprised with my laissez-faire attitude with Noro.

Acornbud said...

Noro is good therapy for the left brained knitters! Learning to enjoy the asymmetry, heehee! It's such a joy to knit with.

Anonymous said...

Extremely well matched! I agree that that's the only spot where it makes sense to be a little finicky about it.

Paula said...

I always have trouble matching up self striping yarns, but your sweater really looks great!!!
You are going to love the way the sweater feels when you are done.
Go for sleeves!

Nana Sadie said...

Wow! Great JOB!
Sleeves!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

That looks great! And it's pretty dang matchy-matchy for not even trying (the back to the front).

Your Endpaper Mitts look fabulous too. Knit the clogs.

HPNY KNITS said...

i too like the little surprises you get from Noro "jumps". I vote for sleeves!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh yeah!!

Anonymous said...

I think they look great, you could indulge your obsession and knit all this in the round up to the armhole split and get it even??

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the colorway!! can't wait to see it finished.

Meg said...

Sleeves please!?!? I am really looking forward to seeing this finished and modelled! The colours are so beautiful

Anonymous said...

The sweater is going to be really sharp. I'll look forward to seeing the finished product.
Gillian

Anonymous said...

i like it! can't wait to see the finished product!

aija said...

Oh, what a luxe sweater!! Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Oddly, I'm not much of a Noro fan, but I'm liking how this is going!

Anonymous said...

Oddly, I'm not much of a Noro fan, but I'm liking how this is going!

Anonymous said...

Oddly, I'm not much of a Noro fan, but I'm liking how this is going!

Jennifer said...

It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Oddly, I'm not much of a Noro fan, but I'm liking how this is going!

lexa said...

Sleeves! It's going to be awesome!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that colourway. I vote for sleeves, so then you'll be able to wear it this winter.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Lookin' good! Start the sleeves, at least. If you get bored, the clogs will be a quick break.

Anonymous said...

nice sweater dave! i think the front is perfect—in a slightly imperfect way. that colorway of noro is one of my favorites (but you won't see me buying any in the near future!)

Anonymous said...

that is my favorite noro colorway... I made a wrapotis out of it!!!

How is ya, friend?

Teyani said...

what a fabulous sweater - yeah, sometimes those knots can be your friend( tho' they're not high on my like list)
Go for the sleeves- you'll want to wear this beauty soon!
I was sorry to hear that you can't play along with the rest of us in the Bloomin' Feet game - maybe next time!

Opal said...

Oh that sweater is gorgeous! Do join me on sleeve island. I'll be serving drinks an puupuu's. (Hawaiian for appetizers)

Marlene said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marlene said...

One way to get fronts to match in a case like that is to knit them together with a few steek stitches in between and then cut the fronts apart. If the neckline has a picked up border the cut edges would be on the inside, or you could knit facings to cover them.

If mismatched fronts would make you twitch 'er somethin'.

Anonymous said...

Sleeves!

Please?!!!! :)

~Suz~

BEESTLYproducts said...

I'm quite jealous of your fancy noro sweater....

Maus said...

Ahhh, I see you are in the Noro fever too, I already have my next one picked out from the Revisited book, wanna guess?
Your knits look wonderful!!

fleegle said...

It looks wonderful! I would never have the patience to match those stripes. Probably why I never knit stripes :)