Sunday, November 30, 2008

Round and Round

I can't believe it's only the end of November and I've already finished my Christmas knitting. That's never happened before. :-)


I had originally bought some Dream in Color Smooshy in the Giant Peach colourway to knit another Jeanie, but when I received it, I knew I wouldn't be able to use it to knit something that would take that long. The colour just didn't appeal to me. I received the skein of Wooly Wonka Hand Dyed Silk Lace as part of the Change of Seasons Lace Club and didn't particularly care for the pattern, and the yarn was a bit too vivid for my tastes. When I went to throw them both in the stash and they ended up beside each other, I knew they were meant for each other, and that together, they were meant for my mother, who loves pink, peach and salmon tones.

I decided to do the Moonlight Sonata pattern, because I thought the stitch pattern would be strong enough to hold its own against two variegated yarns. I think it worked out quite well.

The silk livens up the pastel Smooshy, and the Smooshy tones down the silk. I didn't block it hard, because it was already just about large enough. The whole thing has a warm glow to it and feels wonderfully soft, especially after blocking.


I hope my mom likes it!




53 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

WOW - Your Mom is sure fortunate to have you as a son!! Gorgeous!

dobarah said...

I can't imagine your mom being anything but thrilled with your gift...way to go!

lookinout said...

It's really pretty. You've done a great job, and such a practical, satisfactory use of yarns you weren't that happy with.
Gillian

Anonymous said...

What a lovely combination, I'm sure your Mom will love it! If not I'll email you my address.

Virtuous said...

Wow! I can't believe you finished your Xmas knitting already!!

And double Wow @ the beautiful shawl as your mom will love it!!

Trillian42 said...

If Mom doesn't ADORE it, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would take it off her hands. ;)

It's absolutely stunning - really beautiful!

Abigail said...

Oh my, is it ever breathtaking!

Please excuse me while I drool on the keyboard for a while......... ;)

Briley said...

It's stunning! It will take her breath away.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea to put those two yarns together. I'm sure your mom will adore it.

Patricia said...

Lovely shawl. I have often wondered about Smooshy. Perhaps a skein I shall cross paths some day.
Not nice to brag about the Christmas knitting wrap up. :)

fleegle said...

It's exquisite--perfect color,texture, and pattern! Your mother is one lucky person :)

HPNY KNITS said...

its lovely!

Kerry said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! The yarns were obviously meant to be together. Your mother is one lucky lady. :-)

Alwen said...

It looks beautiful. I like it!

Anonymous said...

Lucky Mom. Wonderful son.

Dorothy Neville said...

Oh my goodness! I have both those skeins and no idea what to do with them. Using them together is a terrific idea. Can you please share what size needle you used and approximately what gauge you ended up with the two strands together?

Zonda said...

It's beautiful! What a wonderful gift!

Anonymous said...

I'm neck deep in Christmas knitting! This is a gorgeous combination. Congrats! It's just perfect.

LaurieM said...

Yum... It's just gorgeous and those colors are wonderful. Your mom will love it.

Teyani said...

that is spectacular - she will love it (I know I would!)

Can't believe you're all done with holiday knits ;-) fabulous!

lexa said...

It's gorgeous! I'm sure she'll love it. I'm jealous that you have your Christmas knitting finished. (Obviously I don't.) Way to go! :)

Jean said...

You do such nice work, I'm sure your mother will be the envy of all her friends, and she will enjoy showing it off a bit. The colors balanced each other well, good choice to pair them together.

Marjorie said...

That is beautiful, and I love the color. I'm sure your mother will wear it proudly.

Sarah said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And quite a genius move to combine the two yarns! I know your mother will love it.

Dave said...

Dorothy:

I used a 5 mm needle and ended up with a blocked gauge of 5 st/in, but I knit tightly, so someone else would likely go down a needle size or two. As well, it took between a third and a half of a second skein of Smooshy.

Unknown said...

When I saw that first photo, my immediate thought was what are you planning with those two beautiful yarns.

I love those same shades, so I'm sure your lucky mom will be thrilled.

Did you have a short Christmas list?

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

It's just gorgeous, Dave! What a lovely gift for your mom.

Anonymous said...

The shawl is gorgeous. If I were your mother, I'd love it. M

Anonymous said...

It is amazing!!! As a mom, knitter, and a women who is crazy about those colors I say she will LOVE it! :)

jessie said...

Your mother is a very lucky woman!

Robin said...

Ummmm... that last photo is really interesting, Dave (lol!) You are an amazing knitter. Lovely.

sgeddes said...

It is lovely. I'm betting your mom will be truly delighted!

Brendaknits said...

It's gorgeous. How can I get on your Christmas list?

Jody said...

Wow - I am in awe that you finished your christmas knitting already! Maybe the secret is to only knit for ONE person. I decided (stupidly) to knit for every member of my family!

I love the shawl - the circle motif is so striking!

fluffbuff said...

That is gorgeous.

Opal said...

Oh that's gorgeous! You have such a great color sense. Your mother is going to adore it. :)

Anonymous said...

Wait..... you held 2 yarns together and it still turned out so lacy? These must be REALLY thin yarns. Haven't heard of them, but will be on the lookout. GORGEOUS!

Laura said...

At the risk of sounding like an echo, WOW! That is so gorgeous.

Bridget said...

WOW - it's gorgeous! I'm jealous of you for still having your mom around, and jealous of her having someone knit her something so beautiful. :-)

Makes me really curious to see what you knit for me! (ha)

Sarah said...

I love the way there's just that bit of sheen. It's beautiful.

bockstark.knits said...

You mom will love it! And GAH, already done with your christmas knitting? I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Dave, that is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure that your mom will love it.

Anonymous said...

BONJOUR DE FRANCE ,

Votre maman va adorer ce magnifique
châle !!

Elle a beaucoup de chance !

BRAVO !

I'm sure , your mum is proud to receive such a beautifull shalw !

Becka said...

GORGEOUS! Mom will LOVE it!! I love it!!
I so knew that was "Smooshy" as soon as I saw your photo, LOL, I love that sock yarn!
Happy Holidays!

Michelle said...

I'm a little jealous that you are already finished with your Christmas knitting. Also, the shawl is beautiful, your mother is one lucky lady!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely! I think that she'll be very happy to receive this!

Kathy... said...

Gorgeous! I am SURE you mom will love it!

Courtney said...

The shawl looks great, especially with gray flannel!

Morticcia said...

What an ingenious solution. Your FO is gorgeous and I'm sure you will have one grateful Mom on Christmas.

Debi said...

One + One = one stunning shawl! Your Mom's one lucky lady, Dave :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's beautiful! The yarns work perfectly together, I'm sure your Mom will love it.

knitspot anne said...

wow, what a good save . . . it's great to find a recipient for yarns you love in colors that don't work for you. it's a beautiful shawl!

Anonymous said...

What a lucky Mom you have!

Beautiful knitting.