Saturday, January 10, 2009

Out with a Bang

Except now that I think about it more, the old year didn't really leave with a bang -- it was more of a DRIP DRIP WHUMP, which was the sound of the ceiling of my computer room falling down just before Christmas on account of a water leak from outside my condo. Yes, they fixed it.

There may also have been a GACK GACK BLETCH, which was the sound of a sick cat who required an emergency trip to the vet on New Year's Eve. Yes, he's all better now.

There may also have been some GURGLE GURGLE GURGLE, which was the sound of my own intestinal disturbances on account of some bug or other. Yes, it's also better now.

Let's hope that's the end of the noise and the new year progresses a little more quietly.

Throughout all that, I did manage to keep myself busy with a bit of fibre.


That's some BFL in the Caramel Apple colourway from Moonlight Baker/Hungry for Handspun.

The colours were perfect for spinning while the snow, and more snow, and yet more snow, fell from the skies.

I was again aiming for a two-ply worsted weight, but I again didn't quite make it. It' about 277 yards, 15 wpi, so right between fingering and sport. Not quite what I was going for, but quite nice nonetheless.


My knit mojo seems to be on vacation, but thanks to the rental of a couple of movies, I was able to finished another Kaleidoscope.

Silk Garden, in what I thought was No. 258. However, according to Ravelry, the last one was 258, so I've managed to mix up the ball bands and have no idea what this one really is.

ETA: It's most likely 228 -- thanks, Judy!!


Whatever it is, it's kind of a nondescript colourway -- mostly greens and browns, with a bit of orange and red and blue.


Nap time. Ciao. :-)

30 people had something to say:

Teyani said...

my goodness - it's been a regular "one man band" at your place!
Glad to know that things are all back to normal there.

Your handspun looks FABULOUS!
wow.

Virtuous said...

Ooh my goodness! I hope 2009 is much more quieter!! Glad all is better now :o)

Love the colorway you spinned it up nicely even though it wasn't what you were aiming for on the ply.

And as far as your Noro colorway I should look at my Lizard Ridge and the multitude of blocks to figure it out for you (b.c you know I kept a color chart for it)....but I ain't LOL

Happy 2009!!

Unknown said...

Nice handspun! I haven't really been spinning, due to a couple of things, but started again yesterday. It may have had to do with the arrival of a little something. :)

Stay warm!

Yarndude said...

Your handspun looks gorgeous!

Bells said...

what a lot of disturbing noises! Here's to much less of that.

Your spinning is beautiful. I'm starting my spinning classes today and aspire to lovely stuff like that.

Also, am knitting Noro SG for the first time and am wondering what took me so long. It's great yarn.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry that things have been so noisy for you! I can see why the knitting mojo might have departed for a bit. The handspun is very lovely, and Noro always has gorgeous colorways.

Monika said...

Love the handspun!

Charity said...

All kinds of excitement! I hope it's all done now, for a good long while! :o)

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Ouch, what a rough start to the year... glad things seem to be smoothed out now. : )

Alwen said...

It's been snowing here all day, so both of your colorways were refreshing after white and black and more white.

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow I'm so sorry you went through all that crap right at the end of the year! I guess life forgot to dump on you until the last minute and needed to catch up before the new year. Here's hoping this year the crap gets spread out a bit better!

Of course, no crap would be ideal but well, we can't expect perfection.

Anonymous said...

I know! I know! [jumping up and down]

That's Noro # 228! I knit a jacket from that colorway.

I hope you are having a more peaceful and quiet time, now! Your handspun is lovely.

ulli said...

well, at least you can say it was never boring ;)
and the yarn is gorgeous!

lexa said...

Your hand spinning is so awesome, makes me wanna try it! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know which is prettier- the BFL before spinning or after. Both are beautiful.

Briley said...

What an end to the year! Glad things are looking up already.

The handspun is beautiful!

fleegle said...

Clap Clap Clap. The sound of fleegle applauding your handspun and your Kaleidoscope :)

Greetings from sunny Costa Rica for a month. Not a knitting store in the entire city. Sob Sob Sob.

Anonymous said...

Glad everything noisy has improved! The spun yarn is gorgous. I wouldn't have thought the finished product would have been so subtle given what you started with. I guess that's the beauty of spinning. I really need to learn. :) Keep warm.

sgeddes said...

I hope things are moving along with a little less noise now. The spinning is wonderful!

Patricia said...

Yum, I just want to take a bite out of that handspun. Hope the band dies down soon.

Jean said...

You poor dear fellow. Well now all that is over with. Your newly spun yarn is really cheerful and would be quite popular here in So Cal. Take care of your darling kitty, good to see you posting again. Take Care and I do look forward to your next post.

Anonymous said...

Happy 2009 to you!

EGunn said...

Hope you're having a quiet start to the year! The caramel apple looks good enough to eat. =)

Nana Sadie said...

I hope that's the end of noisy-ness at your place!!
Happy 2009, that yarn is scrumptious!
(((hugs)))

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

Love your handspun yarn. Been getting a lot of snow down here in the Dakota's too.

Val said...

Lovely handspun - cheery colorway!
Happy New year!

Opal said...

phew! what a time you've had! i'm glad things are better now.

i just adore hungry for handspun. i think half my stash consists of her roving. :-o

randi K design said...

Spinning in the snow..... Sound wonderful!

jessie said...

Great color for spinning during the dark of winter!

Unknown said...

Such beautiful colors - what a glorious pick-me-up for the January blahs.
-Helen